Saturday, September 8, 2007

From Couscous to Kartoshkas

Privet! Shalom! Hello!

I’m excited let everyone know that I have arrived safely and it's
been a great time so far!

First, let me explain the title of this post. My grandmother, who was born in Casablanca, Morocco and is originally of Algerian Jewish descent, prepares a special food, couscous, on special occasions. Couscous is a delicious traditional North African food and is often served with broth and vegetables. My grandmother made sure to prepare a wonderful Shabbat meal of couscous with vegetables and chicken right before I left. It was, of course, delicious!


(Grandma with couscous) (Aliyah with couscous)



And here in Belarus, Kartoshka (Russian for “potato”) is a very traditional food. Potatoes are prepared in many different ways and I’m excited to try out some traditional recipes. Think of Belarus as a veritable land-o-latkes. So far, I have enjoyed Belarusian potato chips in… mushroom flavor! This may sound a bit funky to some, but believe me they are “ochen vkoosna” (very tasty)!

My blog post title reflects more than just food, though. It represents an interesting combination of identities. My mother’s family is Ashkenazi Jewish, of Russian or maybe Ukrainian descent, and as I mentioned above, my father’s family is Sephardic Jewish, of North African descent. Put those two together (Ashkenazi+Sephardic) and I’m an Ashkephardic Jew!



In the past, I have associated strongly with my Sephardic side, its spicy food, Passover traditions, and fascinating history of both accommodation of non-Jewish Arab traditions and the preservation of a distinctly Jewish identity. I have also appreciated aspects of my Ashkenazi side, but now, here in Belarus, I feel that I might connect with it on a deeper level. Once the heart of the “Pale of Settlement,” this area was heavily saturated with Jewish communities, nearing 50% of the general population. Now that population is smaller, but enjoying a vibrant revival which I am proud to take a small part in.


So, my journey from couscous to kartoshkas is not only a physical one, but a process of broadening my mind and exploring aspects of my “Ashkephardic” identity, especially the “Ashke” part. While I once shied away from admitting that I actually like some foods like gefilte fish, herring, and horseradish, (in Yiddish and Russian “Hrain”) I will now say it loud and proud! I almost feel as though I’ve joined a support group where I hesitatingly declare, “My name is Aliyah and I like herring,” and my group replies in unison, “Privet (Hi) Aliyah!”



(The herring aisle at the local market. Yum!)



Food is always a nice place to begin but what else has made first impressions upon me?
People have been especially warm and nice to me. Current JDC volunteer, Erica Fishbein, has been especially wonderful, accompanying me everywhere, introducing me to important people with whom I will work closely this year, and slowly guiding me through the initial foreignness (so foreign, I feel like Borat) of grocery shopping and money exchange. Thanks to Eritchka I’m not overwhelmed, just 'whelmed'!


(Erica, Alona, and Aliyah at the JDC office)



And the Minsk Jewish Campus impressed me a great deal as well. At the campus, many different Jewish organizations share space and offer a rich community setting to a very broad sector of society here. Much of the campus’ activities are run by highly committed volunteers and employees who take their work seriously.

Friday evening, Shabbat, I enjoyed taking part in a gathering of about 20 Jewish Belarusian students at Hillel. We first had an abridged kabalat shabbat service and then socialized while snacking on challah (which is delicious and sweet here) for at least a couple of hours.


(Aliyah and Erica with Hillel friends)


Personally, I’m still a bit jet lagged, but adjusting quickly. I am enthusiastic about learning Russian and I’m picking up new words all the time. (Ella, padrujka, you’d be proud!) I have a long ways to go in terms of language but I can see that this sort of immersion is the best way to learn. For now though, I find myself smiling and nodding while not really understanding everything.



And I hope you will smile knowing that I’m happy, warm (weather’s been ok so far), well-fed, being challenged, and looked after well by good people during this new beginning.


May we all take an opportunity to look at the foods we enjoy and what they might mean in the context of our identities. Learn a traditional recipe! Teach someone one you are fond of! And if you like herring, then say it loud, say it proud!


(Herring!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Aliyah,
My mom just sent me your blog. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, I will be checking the blog regularly. Talking about food, I remember your grandfather Eddie sending a jar of gefilte fish home for my mom to try as he had a habit of giving her foods that he enjoyed (smoked meat, dates, Mark & Spencer cookies, etc.) We all tried it and thought it might be an acquired taste... I do like herring myself and wonder how it's served in Belarus? Good job on the Russian composition!
Take care,
Quynh Rodriguez
Mrs. Phan's daughter

Aliyah said...

Thanks Quynh!
Yes, I think my grandfather would like the food here very much. Many things here remind me of my grandparents.
Thanks for reading!
Aliyah