Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Aliyitchka in The Cleveland Jewish News

My official title here in Minsk is the Rozlyn Z. Wolf Fellow. Here is a description of the Fellowship, taken from the Jewish Federation of Cleveland website:

The Roslyn Z. Wolf Cleveland-JDC International Fellows Program

Spend a year abroad. Get a lifetime of rewards!

This joint project of the Jewish Community Federation of Cleveland and the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC) has been established through the generosity of the late Ambassador Milton A. Wolf, Ph.D. and his children to permanently honor and memorialize his beloved wife. A Federation Trustee for Life, Roz's Jewish community commitments set an example for many and continue to motivate other volunteers.

Each year, the Roslyn Z. Wolf Cleveland-JDC International Fellows Program will provide one college graduate the opportunity to spend a year abroad, where he or she will help isolated or re-emerging Jewish communities develop programs that educate youth, care for the elderly and train future leaders.


In August, I traveled to Cleveland, Ohio, for a few days to become acquainted with the Cleveland Jewish Federation and the Jewish community in general. When I was there, I was interviewed by a writer for the Cleveland Jewish News and the article was recently printed.

CLICK HERE to read it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aliya -
I read about you in a URJ e-mail newsletter that I get. "Minsk" caught my eye because I am originally from there, so I was very curious. I am amazed that there is a Jewish Campus in Minsk! What a change from "back in my day", which was under the Soviets.

Best of luck to you - you are doing much-needed work! Keep blogging, I'll be waiting for new posts, and so will my wife. Rachel is US-born, but like many American Jews, traces her family origins to the shtetls of old Belarus/Poland/Russia.

Aliyah said...

Yuri,
How very interesting that you are originally from Minsk and you found my blog! I am happy to hear that you and your wife are enjoying reading about my experiences here. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement!
Sincerely,
Aliyah